Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocolallakid

Replacing Bathtub and surround

cocolallakids
18 years ago

Has anyone replaced a bathtub with surround walls?

Can I just buy fiberglass one at Lowes or Home Depot? Are any really sturdy? Hard to get through doorways?

Ours has cracked by the drain, there was little support underneath. It's a 97 Marlette, we use it as a rental so it may get a bit more wear and tear than normal(?).

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

we personally have not replaced our tubs, but we have been thinking about getting a new one for the kids' bathroom. my neighbor did replace her tub, she purchased it at either lowe's or home depot, can't remember which one. the biggest problem she found when searching for tubs was that the ones at the home improvement stores have a circular cutout for an overflow drain thingy, and her mobile wasn't plumbed for an extra drain for the tub. i believe she solved the problem by purchasing a cap for the hole. if you do replace your bathtub, i would certainly recommend measuring the doorway into your bathroom so you can be certain to buy one that you can get into the room.

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

Most mobile homes had the bath installed BEFORE the walls went up - and you may find it nigh unto impossible to get it out and get a new one in w/o major wall removal. Going through a mobile home building site is an amazing experience!

• gman
    18 years ago

"and you may find it nigh unto impossible to get it out and get a new one in w/o major wall removal."

WHAT??? You DO NOT need to do MAJOR WALL REMOVAL.... please.
    The old one is most likely trash so that just gets cut up and there are MANY different styles of tub/tub-shower surrounds.... that will fit through ANY doorway.

• sharon_fl
    18 years ago

gman is right..many tub & shower choices that are built for mobile homes, etc. In our area-we have a mobile home supply store which carries all replacement items for older mobiles.Check your yellow pages for this type of store in your area. I replaced both bathrooms-removed both tubs & had shower units & surrounds put in. My home is an '89.

• sharon_fl
    18 years ago

gman is right..many tub & shower choices that are built for mobile homes, etc. In our area-we have a mobile home supply store which carries all replacement items for older mobiles.Check your yellow pages for this type of store in your area. I replaced both bathrooms-removed both tubs & had shower units & surrounds put in. My home is an '89.

• sweets98
    18 years ago

Ours is an '88 and I know that my father replaced the tub about 10 years ago (he was renting it out and the tenanta managed to crack the tub!) with no issues.

My only complaint about our tub and shower is that it isn't the same color it was! The walls look like they are yellow and I remember them certainly being cream when the place was brand new. And I don't know what the tenants put on the tub but the new one has areas that are gold looking and some that are still cream like it was. I've tried everything on it in the last 5 years with no sucess! DH and I just want to replace it because then the bathroom will have been totally remodled and well, the tub just isn't that deep!

BTW~We haven't purchased ANYTHING from the manufacturer or from some mobile home supply place. We get everything from Lowe's. Sometimes its meant having to rearrange and change some things but most times we had no problems.

• chicky
    17 years ago

My mobile home is a 1973.It had a gold tub surround fiberglass tub unit.The length was 54".I ordered a new steel tub 54" from home depot. This was a special order.It took three weeks from Crane Mfg.I used a wall tub surround, which is like plastic glued to 3/8" plywood.It has molded soad dish etc> This was much better than the old unit.It depends what you for length & depth available>I would never put a mobile home unit in again.Just bust it up in the room and take it out the door.I hope this is helpful. Cindy in Canada

• Debra Mcfarland
    7 years ago

I also have an older model mobile home, my father had replaced the tub with a shower unit at one point. I would love to have an all in one tub and shower unit put in however, I was concerned about the weight issue. Would there be a problem with it? I don't know how exactly the floor of an older trailer is made and if there is a weight capacity.

Sponsored