Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trulylisa

Drywalling over vinyl wallboard

trulylisa
15 years ago

Has anyone here ever drywalled right over the vinyl wallboard. I had a professional come in and they said it would be a lot easier and cheaper to drywall over and make adjustments for door jams, windows, trim, etc.

Has anyone ever done this? Is this professional just trying to take a shortcut that is going to look bad? I just can't stand those wall and batten strips any longer.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)

• nod702
    15 years ago

Yes, it can be done. We did two double wides that way. We had to special order 1/4 inch thick sheet rock to do it. Another way we have done it is to remove the strips, counter sink the staples, fill the cracks with joint compound, (we used quick setting joint compound) sand and use a good primer and good interior paint. You could never tell the strips were there. We also replaced the window and door trim with regular trim. Just remember if the home ever has to be moved, the seams will crack. Hope this helps.

• trulylisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Nod. But why did you need 1/4" sheet rock? They quoted me 3/8 or 1/2. They said the 1/2" would even be cheaper and substantiate the walls.

We are going to do the Kitchen the way you said you did by removing the strips and filling with joint compound. How do you countersink the staples? With a hammer? We didn't want to tear down the kitchen cabinets and we were thining to wallpaper (which I hate). Did you actually just prime and paint over? How does it look? They want to reuse the trim but it is so cheap looking. Maybe I should put some real wood trim up too.

My house is a modular double wide on a foundation with full basement and 2 car garage so it won't be moved.

If you can tell me the names of any products I should use to mud, prime and paint I would greatly appreciate it.

• mamato3
    15 years ago

oh, I just ound this forum, and was going to ask this very question. I'm thinking about drywalling over my paneling, because the people here before me did a crappy paint job. From what I understand it's best not to paint over it, and sanding all the walls down to panel so I could repaint would be too much. I read somewhere that you shouldnt drywall over panels, but I don't know why. I've red of people doing it, and I think that's the way I'm heading, since it will give the walls some better insulation too.

• nod702
    15 years ago

The contracter i was working for specified the 1/4 inch sheetrock. 3/8 or 1/2 inch would also work. We just used a hammer and a nail set (punch) to counter sink the staples.That way you can fill the dimple with compound which will hide the stapels. The primer we used was Kilz, don't remember the paint, but i think he got the paint from Sherman Williams. Using real wood trim, although a little expensive, it makes a world of difference in your homes appearance.

• trulylisa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you again, Nod for all the information. It really helps alot. Mamato3, this is a great forum. I too am so happy I found it.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz