Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help with awful oder asap

Posted by bambrose (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 15:47

We recently bought a 1981 mobile home last fall as a second home and there is a really bad smell to it that we�ll do pretty much anything to get rid of.

Here�s what we�ve done already to try to target / eliminate the smell:
We ripped up the old carpets and carpet pads
painted all of the walls
used glade plug ins
bleached/cleaned all cabinets and surfaces
removed appliances
had septic emptied
sealed any possible entry for mice or other rodents (easily accessible before we bought it)
removed appliances
gutted bathroom
removed subfloors in kitchen area
Potential Sources: The previous owner had cats. There was definitely rodent infestation when we bought the place, but we did what we could to try to prevent them from reentering the house. My guess is there are dead mice bodies in the walls, but would that continue to smell months/years later? The ducts have mice dropping in them still.
The basement could be the problem, when it rains a lot, the crawl space gets damp and there could be standing water after really heavy rains. It will eventually drain to the sump, but the concrete floor will remain damp until we have a period of dry weather. I�ll be setting up an auto drain dehumidifier tomorrow that removes 70 pints/ day.
____
We are going to the house tomorrow morning and need some good ideas to try to get the house smelling better for when we re-open it in April.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice that might help? This has been bugging the hell out of me. We want to enjoy this place in the summer and having it smell the way it does will not allow us to.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help with awful oder asap

Ask over a the Home Disasters forum.
More people there.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/disaster/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here