Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drummrgrl

love my home, want to make it permanent?

drummrgrl
17 years ago

So I have a question. I am new to owning a mobile home. I had originally bought it for the land (in fact couldn't get financing for the singlewide, only the land!) Since moving in I really like it. It is just the right size for us (14x66 with a 10x15 knockout which doubles the living room). We are considering a complete refurbish inside and out. I mean ALL new over the years. I really like it.

One of my many questions is . . . .

Can an older (1988 clayton) singlewide be foundationalized to a permanent home? The addition, although made with superior materials (tongue and groove wood walls and ceiling),is not formally 'attached' properly. (More like built next to) I have read of this being a possibility but is it really possible on an older home or just new? and does anyone know how much something like this runs (or who in TN might do this)?

Is it something that we could undertake ourselves? We are rather adventurous since we didn't actually pay anything for the mobile, only the land.

I would really rather make this into a 'home' than build new. (the recycler in me can throw anything away espcially a whole house!!) I love the house seat (best we've got). Has septic and well already and I don't want to be without a home for 6mths to a year. However, it was soooo hard to find a loop hole to by it. I am afraid that in 10 years if we sell that we'll be losing alot of money (on the upgrades that I want to do: new windows, new siding, drywalling, bath rooms, etc)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice . . . .

Comments (5)

• coolvt
    17 years ago

I would think that the first requirement to making it really permanent with using the addition would be to have the whole thing on a concrete slab. I think both sections are going to do some settling over time without a slab. It would be too bad to spend the money and then have things start to crack and fall apart.
    In some areas and with some companies a buyer can finance a mobile on a slab as a home rather than a mobile. Which possibly means lower interest rates. This could work in your favor if you ever want to sell...but probably don't count on that aspect.
    Before you spend a lot of money be sure that the home has copper wiring rather than aluminum. I think in a 1988 that it probably is copper,but not sure. Here in Vt I have seen homes of that age on private land....2 acre lot sell for $150,000 so they can have value if permanently set up.
    Mark

• rockymcgee
    16 years ago

This is my first time dealing with a manufactured home. I am purchasing a double wide and would like to make it permanant as well as have additon. My question is does the mobile have to be a concrete slab or can you do pier and beam? And what would the cost be? Hopefully someone can help. I need any and all the advice I can get.

• meadow25
    15 years ago

We have bought a doublewide that we are moving onto our property next week. We're putting it on concrete runners and a perimeter for cinder-block skirting. If they take off the wheels and the hitch, will it qualify as a permanent home?

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

>I am afraid that in 10 years if we sell that we'll be losing alot of money.

That may be. It is usually a fact of life in owning a mobile home which doesn't have a great track record of increasing greatly in value.

The thing you have to look at now is how much the improvements will cost and weigh them against the intangible value of the comfort and joy they will bring.

How much would you have to pay now to buy a dwelling with such comforts on the open market? What would the value of that home be in ten years? Can you actually afford to invest in that home and gain value or is it more profitable (and realistic) to invest money now on your current home and realize the profit, not in Capital Gains, but in personal commfort and enjoyment?

Wayne

• tkhooper
    15 years ago

I think you need to see what your local building codes office requires to consider it a permenant dwelling. I think it changes from one place to another.

Sponsored