Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minxz

Financing a Pre Hud 1971 double wide with 'decent credit'

minxz
14 years ago

Anyone have any advice about financing a 1971 double wide mobile home. My credit score is 656 and my husbands 693. I know the PreHud is a bear to finance. Just wondering if anyone has been successful or has any suggestions.

*I have noticed a lot of anti mobile home posts on these kind of questions.. I'm not interested. We have lived happily in our home for two years and have no intention of moving so please post your anti mobile home advice elsewhere. TY!!*

Comments (5)

• pris
    14 years ago

You're not really giving anyone enough info to work with. Just a question/observation or two to help clarify your situation.

I'm assuming the home you're living in is the one in question. Will you have to move this house after purchase or are you buying the property it sits on also. The answer to this will make a huge difference. If it comes with land, you might be able to get at least some financing. As far as the house is concerned, you have to realize that this house is 39 years old and unless there have been some upgrades over the years, financing it will be difficult. What kind of wiring? Aluminum or copper. Any other upgrades to bring it into compliance? What is the overall general condition?

I suggest you invest in the money to have it appraised. Manufactured homes of that age tended to depreciate in value and if that's true of yours it has probably been fully depreciated by now. It still has value but how much is the question. I certainly wouldn't invest a lot in something that has little value now.

• minxz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pris TY for the response:

It is in a mobile home park we are living in it. I will have to look into the wiring. The fixtures and appliances have been upgraded but I think everything else is original. We are pretty set on the path of purchasing despite the depreciation and age. (family is involved lol) The land is not currently for sale though the park owner has received permission to sell the plots we aren't holding our breath for that to happen any time soon. You basically confirmed what my research has told me. Financing something of this age without platinum credit will be very difficult.

• pris
    14 years ago

You really need to find out what the home is worth. If the asking price is more than the value, then financing would be out of the question. I can pretty well bet that the regular banks won't loan any amount with this house for collateral. If the asking price is reasonable for the age and condition you might be able to get a personal loan to cover it. That's where your credit rating comes in.

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

Seller financing? And in determining what price you are willing to pay, think about the fact that you might wish to sell it later. Lack of readily-available financing sharply reduces the pool of prospective buyers.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

my bank won't finance a mfg home over 10 yrs old. fortunately, I don't need to finance mine cause I think it is 11 yrs old!