Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mobile Home Expansion/Addition

Posted by jh7183 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 12:14

We own a lot in Emerald Isle NC with a 1973 12x56 mobile home. Because of existing garage and carport it's almost impossible to get a new larger mobile onto the lot. We thought we could add on or go up with addition but have been told by the local planner that we can't cut into the existing structure. I haven't found any ordinances that prohibit this at the local level or state level. We can add a rooom by enclosing part of the large carport in front of the home but also want to expand the bedroom area.

Has anyone had any experience with adding onto a mobile in a coastal area/windzone III?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mobile Home Expansion/Addition

Is that the reason he gave you a no, because of the wind issue? If it is, you can normally add something, but it will have to be engineered to withstand whatever wind velocity they use in that area.
You said he told you that you can't "cut" into the existing structure. Normally if you do that then the home will no longer meet the HUD code that it was built under. If the jurisdiction is strict they might not let you cut anything out of the original structure.
I think you have to ask him the reason he said no and then get back on here and maybe someone can think up a solution to help.

o
RE: Mobile Home Expansion/Addition

Even if regulations did not affect cutting new openings in the exterior of a mobile home, I would be reluctant to do so. The original framing does not have the extra margins of strength that are in stick-built houses. Plan your addition to use the existing openings. And any additions, lateral and vertical, should be supported independently of the mobile home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here