Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ductwork improvement

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 8:02

I have not inspected the newest mobile homes, but some older ones can benefit from a simple duct sealing project. As the unit is built, the underfloor ducts are placed, the decking panels are installed and then the register openings are cut in both the decking and the ductwork. The register boots have the flanges spread at the bottom, but not really sealed to the ductwork. A mirror and light can inspect this installation. To seal this area, first press the flanges tight against the duct with fingers. Then use duct seal to close the area between the duct and the boot flanges. Duct seal is about the consistency of mashed potatoes, purchased in small buckets or packaged in caulking tubes. Apply the duct seal with fingers- messy operation. It may take two or three sessions to fill all the gaps, with a few days for the previous application to dry/harden. Inspect with mirror as necessary. I predict an improvement in efficiency of the system of 5 to 10%.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ductwork improvement

DH messed with ours, too. He used the metal tape to tape up around inside the registers because they weren't flush agaist the floor and I believe he went underneath, too. What a difference!

Replacing the windows in older mobile homes (ours is an 88) REALLY helps, too. We started about two years ago and we now keep our thermostat about 10 degrees cooler. Just this winter we replaced our kids' windows and the half bath and now their end of the trailer is the warmest. It used to be the coldest! It got to warm back there that we had to partially shut the registers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here