Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
construction standards of 1994 Fleetwood

Posted by boatman37210 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 0:05

Hi, new to forum and would appreciate your help. I'm looking to purchase a 1994 Fleetwood Reflection 14' X 60' mobile home from an individual. The home looks to be in pretty good shape for a 1994. My understanding is that there were HUD standards established in 1976 and Oct, 1994. Since the model year is the same year the 1994 codes went into affect, how do I determine which codes were used to construct the home? I'm assuming those homes constructed the first 10 months of 1994 were done under 1976 codes and those constructed the last 2 months were done under the 1994 codes. It is also possible I guess that some homes constructed in 1993 could be called 1994 models similar to how cars are done.

I am hoping for 2X4 walls and exterior wood sheathing. I guess it would be easy enough to determine if the walls are 2X4, but not sure about verifying the sheathing.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: construction standards of 1994 Fleetwood

Unlike cars where the new model years are introduced in September, new year mobiles are often introduced in March or April. Although in the years of the code changes, that could be different. If it was me, the one thing that I would look for is copper wire. If it has aluminum, I think I would pass on it. As you said, you can determine if it has 4" walls. It it has an outside receptacle, if you pull the cover on the box you might be able to see sheathing...or..possibly by pushing on the siding between studs you might tell if there is something solid behind the siding.
If it was me I would worry about the wiring as I mentioned, I would check for flooring soft spots in the bath, under kitchen sink and in front of all windows and doors. If it has a flathish roof, I would be checking the ceiling for signs of leaking. You might want the furnace checked by a service person. The chambers crack over time and people continue to use them.
Since i was in the business of mobile home parks, I have probably owned 75 of the vintage (and older) that you describe. These are the problems that I have encountered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here