Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackofalltrades_1956

Buying new Mfg. home

I am in the process of possibly buying a new manufactured home (or possibly a modular or building a SIPS home myself). I have been looking at the following brands...Champion, Silvercrest (a Champion owned company), Marlette, Golden West, Shult, and Palm Harbor. This is a list of the brands sold nearby and possibly more will add to the list. I am currently in an older mid 70's Fleetwood that is falling apart. It came with the property and was previously a rental so it had very little maintainance done and it shows. Anyone with any experience with the brands listed above or any other brands I would like to hear your experiences both pro and con. I understand Silvercrest is a top brand, any others to consider?

Comments (8)

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

Don't know where you are but in the Southeast, check out www.precisionmodularhomes.com

We bought a two story Yorkshire Cape.

• jackofalltrades_1956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OOPS, sorry, I live in Central California. The nearest dealers sell Silvercrest, Palm Harbor, Shulte, Fleetwood, and a few others. How do you like your home? How long have you been living in it? Any good or bad things to say about Manufactured homes in general? After looking at many web sites, BBB, and sites where people have had a bad experience I have discovered that one has to be extremely cautious, knowledgeable, and diligent in research, and get EVERYTHING in writing. We already have the land with well, power and septic and an older late 1970's Fleetwood that is falling apart. How do today's mfg. homes hold their resale value?

• lucy
    16 years ago

The one thing I know (unfortunately) is that they don't appreciate like 'regular' property, but go down in value over time (regardless of how nice or not they are... though of course nicer will still get a better price than not).

• n2cookin
    16 years ago

We bought an Oak Creek home from Nationwide homes and we absolutely love it! We've lived in it for 7 yrs now and no problems at all. Very well made, a very heavy duty well put-together home. It wasn't taped and textured when we got it, so in time, we taped and textured it ourselves. The crew that came to set up our home said Oak Creek homes are one of the heaviest homes you can buy. You can just tell the quality by walking in the door. This feels like a stick built home, solid as a rock.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

We have a 1994 Marlette. The nicer quality with all real sheetrock tape and texture no vinyl walls. Wood ,I think Alder, Cabinets in both baths and kitchen and laundry rooms. We are the second owners. So far we see nothing deteriorating. We did put a new metal roof on when we moved in because we did not want to shovel the snow. It is on a full foundation and turned into "Real Property". Sadly my hubby wants to move to the next town the highway because he is working there. Wish we could up root this place and take it with us. Can't It is here to stay.

We are happy with the manufactured homes we have owned and hope to find a lot to buy and be able to purchase another one.

Chris

• NVoneAcre
    16 years ago

Nashua [built in Boise ID] I believe ship to California. The quality is par with modular (they build modulars too). We have been thrilled with ours. Visit their factory and see for yourself the quality of the components etc. If placed on a foundation the value will NOT go down as suggested above but will appreciate the same as stick or modular. Conventional 30 yr mortgages are available as well. There are modular owners who do not want to believe that there could be quality manufactured homes to rival their more expensive first cousins. Modulars and Manufactured homes are more alike than they are different. VISIT the factory of any company you are considering and decide for yourself.

• anrsaz
    16 years ago

We had a 1997 Marlette and it was great! We ordered another one, but unbeknownst to us, Marlette was sold to Oakwood. UGH...don't go there. There is no comparison. The 1997 was far, far better. In AZ, Golden West would be a lower end. As well as Fleetwood. But some places just depend on the dealer too.

IMO, I think that when the top portion of your windows are low, it looks cheap and they tend to be on the cheaper models. You can do upgrades galore. I vote for upgrading your construction. Silvercrest would be my top pick, Palm Harbor, then Schult with all of them being w/a reputable dealer of course. However, I would not buy a Silvercrest low end model, because you're paying a lot for something you can get w/a Palm Harbor, mid range. Just my opinion...from Arizona.

Definitely check the BBB!!!! By dealer. You can have a beautiful Silvercrest and w/a crappy dealer, it'll be all a waste of money.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

nvoneacre wrote:
    There are modular owners who do not want to believe that there could be quality manufactured homes to rival their more expensive first cousins.

There's been only ONE poster doing that. And Bigdee has been countered at every turn by BOTH modular and manufactured owners.

Nvoneacre, I hate to say it but you're becoming a tad like Bigdee as you're getting a major bias in the other direction.

I have stated many times that both manufactured and modulars are great homes fo tthose that choose either one. Yes, there are limitations and biases against manufactured housing. Many communities won't allow them so modulars are erected. Yes, you can get 30 year financing but many mortgage companies won't give equity loans for some reason.

Yes manufactured housing can be built to any spec. And there are some beautiful ones out there. And 99% of the posters agree with us. So please don't become a snob in the opposite direction. Because when you so that, you're offending me and many modular owners that are on your side in this.

Sponsored