Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Questions about my Marlette modular home in Idaho

sooz
18 years ago

Just last year I purchased a Marlette modular home and the property it sat on. The home was built in the year 2000, and is set on a foundation and it also has a crawl space. I don't think it has an attic space--is this normal?

I've read all the posts here, and have a few questions...maybe someone with more experience can help me?

If I need replacement parts, or just want to upgrade something, where do I get those parts, such as maybe faucets, pipes or sink components etc? Do I just hope the local hardware store, or Home Depot (2 hours away!), has them?

If I want to make a covered patio for summer enjoyment, or a front porch instead of a front stoop, where do I find "plans" for those? Would a patio or a front porch be attached to the modular home, or would that be a big structural mistake?

Is there a secret to hanging framed photos and art on the walls?

Thanks for any help you can give!

BTW, I've used THREE different computers trying to post on this site! Finally, my computer (3 yrs old) at work did the trick! Not sure if I'll ever be able to post again, tho!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (6)

• lizql
    18 years ago

First of all, it's not your puter it's the site. Everyone has been having problems. Think it is fixed now. I assume your home has a shingled roof. One would attach the porch structure to the fascia board just as you would a house. As for other pieces parts, I've never gone to a mobile home parts store nor would I know where to find one here. We have always found whatever we needed at the local hardware or the big box store. Do you have drywall? Paneling? Easy to hang with small nail in paneling may need an anchor in drywall. Locate a stud for something heavy. BTW, I have a screened in porch on mine that my neighbors envy. If you think of anymore questions I'll be glad to answer.
    Liz

• sooz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Liz,

Thanks for the helpful input! Yes, my house does have shingles, and I forgot to mention that the sides are Hardee Plank.

I'd love to know more about your screened in porch! Did you draw up "plans" for it or what? Is it attached to your house? How is it during snow season? I'd love to see a photo if you have one.

You can email me directly at the following addy (if you can figure out all the *clues*):
    sooz.california and then you add the little "at" sign that looks like this @ and the end part is gmail then you make a "." or period, followed by the word com so the last part would be @gmail.com Just remember there is a "." (or "dot") between sooz and california

Yes, all this is to throw off any 'bots that are phishing for email addys! Actually the email addy here is the one I use on line, then I can write to folks from my "real" addy, which is linked to clicking on my name in the post. Does this make sense? (LOL)

Hope to hear from you again!

Smiles,
    Sooz

• sweets98
    18 years ago

Sooz,
    The best thing you can do is look at your modular home as anyone would any house. Do what you would if it were stick built. Sometimes you may find you have a few issues that you have to work around or find another solution to make your project work but most times you should be fine.

I think the porch issue really depends on the codes and such where you live. Most places have rules about this sort of thing.

We have a single wide mobile home and our porches aren't connected to the trailer but the rooves are. I guess they could have been connected somehow but I guess this was just how my Dad thought it would be easiest at the time.

You should be able to find what you need at Lowe's or Home Depot or the local hardware.

We buy everything we need at Lowe's, however there are times that it's required more work once we get home...like when we replaced our exterior doors and the traditional ones wouldn't really work because of the porch rooves so DH had to cut the doors down to make them fit (he works at a door company though so it was simple for him! LOL). It was cheaper than a special order! With new windows, we sometimes have to cut the hole bigger or put extra framing in to make them work. The plumbing we've had to work on switching over because it's the stuff they used years ago that there were issues with and it's prone to leaks later on. Bottom line is we've learned every project may end up with extra work because everything isn't square or done in the average sizes that are out there but it will work somehow!

Hanging things...anything you want to hang, can be hung! Most of our items are hung up by nails. In fact we have this picture in the living room that's 25 1/2"x 31 1/2" and it's just hung on one nail. It's been moved around the room several times in the last 4 years and it has yet to fall.

The really heavy things, DH uses anchors. They're pretty inexpensive at the hardware and it's really just a plastic piece that you put in a hole that you drill in the wall. The tips open up and hold the anchor in place and then the screw that holds the item goes in the anchor. (Not the best description but when you go look for items for hollow walls or ask!) I have some pretty heavy things hung up and again, they haven't fell.

Hope that helps!

Leslie

• ancil619
    15 years ago

Fairmont Homes has been exceeding the expectations of homeowners for nearly 30 years by offering a Supermarket of Quality-Built, Flexible Floorplan Designs, which feature our Cradle of Strength Construction.Empire Modular Homes provides premier modular homes, manufactured homes, prefab homes and Alberta modular homes.
    -----------
    Ancil

Idaho Drug Treatment

• coolvt
    15 years ago

You mention snow so I assume that you are in an area that gets frost? Frost will raise things. If your home is on a foundation we would assume that the foundation goes below frost level and therefore the home will not be raised by the frost.
    If you want to build a porch and attach it to the home, it too should have a foundation. If the porch doesn't have a foundation the frost will raise it and it will pull away from the home. I've seen a few times where the deck was raised by frost and then the owners couldn't get the door open.

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

We have a new manufactured home on a foundation. We also have a shingled roof and hardy board siding. We had an attached garage built onto it as well as an 8 ft. x 20 ft. front porch. They're attached at the roof but have separate footings.

We have wall board inside. We have pictures, both large ands small, on all the walls. We used the regular slanted picture hangers just like we've always used in our stick built homes. The newer manufactured homes are built just like a stick built except it has a steel frame underneath and it is delivered on wheels. The walls are no different.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!