Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmaple

Wallpaper

kimmaple
14 years ago

We live in a manufactured home (only 4 yrs old) and We haven't painted (my husband doesn't want to) but I am wondering how you repair the wallpaper like stuff that is on the walls, the wall board that came with the house.

I had something stuck to the wall and went to take it off and some of that wallpaper like stuff, peeled off in about 3 spots and now I see brown that is under that. Is there a way to fix it without painting since he doesn't want to?

Comments (7)

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

I don't know what kind of finish you have on your walls.......
    Mine is that orange peel look ...I changed out a light fixture which left a big round circle ....
    I sanded lightly then used a can of spray texture over that spot....Let dry a day then put yp new fixture ...Didn't paint...Can't tell....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100684591/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

• pris
    14 years ago

Are you talking about sheetrock? Do you have a patterned wallpaper or are you talking about painted sheetrock? If it's painted sheetrock, get some "mud" and repair the tears in the sheetrock paper. Ask the salesman at the box store what you need to to use to apply the mud and how to do it. Match the existing paint color and paint over the patches after the mud dries. You might be able to use spackle but it would depend on the size tears you are working with. There again, talk to the salesman. You can show him the approximate size and be able to tell him exactly what type wallboard you are working with. I suspect the minimum supplies you will need will be mud, mud knife, sandpaper and paint. Take a small piece of the finished paper showing the color so they can match it.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture ??

• brnincalif
    14 years ago

I just bought a 1990 dw and am planning on remodeling and am SOOOOOOOOOO glad I found this site! I used to work in a modular home plant and saw the construction process step-by-step from about 1996 till 2000. At that facility the wallboard was vinyl covered gypsum.I have yet to close on my place. When I do I will have to inspect and see what mine are made of.

• drizler
    14 years ago

Thats the trouble with trailer walls, doors ect. Everything is non standard, usually not level and expensive if you can find it at all. One thing to keep in mind if you decide to do a paint job on those type walls is to scuff sand lightly if they are that shiny texture they often use. If you paint the walls and they start to peel you will pay hell to get it off again. There may be paints that will stick to that vinylized finish but just make SURE they will before you do the job whereas scuffing a bit with 220 sandpaper will surely work

• amandasgramma
    14 years ago

My girlfriend has a Manuf home that's over 20 yrs old. She has painted, re-painted, and painted again over those 20 yrs. The walls had a wall paneling and a weird wallpapered paneling. She did as suggested above...she sanded lightly, primed and painted. She even put in chair railing and textured the upper portion!!!! We've put a front door on our house -- one from Lowes. It's not a standard doorway size...so DH CUT the doorway and the door fit perfectly!! you can do ANYTHING you want to a manuf. home...just get in and work it until it works!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

"you can do ANYTHING you want to a manuf. home...just get in and work it until it works!!!"

Really like your attitude. We put a non opening window in wall between laundry and guest bath to let light into guest bath.Ran into a vent pipe. Just had to re-rout it around the window and back to the vent on top.

Just get in and work until it works. I like that.

Chris

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living