Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone provide a rough cost estimate for a manufactured home?

Posted by oread (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 14:40

My husband and I have been floating the idea of purchasing a piece of property with an older mobile home on it- something with little value, but sound enough to live in until we can afford to replace it with a new modular home. That way the sewage, water and electrical would already be in place, and we could cost the whole thing out in phases. I'd like to know if anybody has any input about the soundess of this plan, and/or could provide a rough estimate as to how much might it cost to purchase a smaller modular home and install it on a permanent foundation.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone provide a rough cost estimate for a manufactured h

My husband and I purchased a 1972 double-wide last year with the same idea. The only problem is getting financing (if you need it) for an older home. In our experience, most lenders won't consider anything over 10 years old. The only way we could do it was through owner-financing.

o

We bought a 32 X 84, 5 bedroom, 3 full bath,living room with wood burning fireplace, large den with wood burning fireplace, dining area, and large laundry room. This one had been purchased as a re-po and then completely remodeled by a local contractor. New faux finished walls throughout, new carpet throughout, new bathroom fixtures, and all new appliances, ceramic flooring, new sink, and counter tops in the kitchen. Ceiling fans in every room. New central heat and air conditioning. It was completely set up, skirted, with electric and septic system in place, and included a new 15 X 20 foot deck on the back and front porch with steps, and landing and steps to laundry room. It sits on a 3/4 acre cleared lot and was already landscaped and had grass planted. The driveway and culvert were in place. We gave $87,000 for the home and land.

o

gaggysbeach - I don't know where you live, but here in CT a lot with no improvements (in a modest town, not fancy suburb/subdivision) goes for around $100,000!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here