Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

Posted by carolbarrel (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 14:34

There is a $15K difference at least between new mobile homes and used/reposessed homes, at least around here. I'm just wondering if the newer, more updated looking mobile home with a one yr manufacturer's warranty is worth the much greater cost. Is there a way to get a dealer of used and repo mobile homes to match a new home's warranty or at least get some of the same kinds of warranty provisions in writing? Or...are all used/repo/etc mobile homes "as is" and thus a crapshoot? I'm a mobile home newbie and not particularly handy...but I also have always owned used cars so gently worn merchandise doesn't put me off. Is there any way to "kick the tires" when it comes to a used mobile home? TIA for any musings on this subject!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

I bought a foreclosure and I think it is the best decision I ever made but I am sure each circumstance will be different. I live in northern Indiana and found one on Yahoo real estate. A 1991 DW 3/2 with a full basement,3 city lots and a two car garage for less than $20,000. So far have only done new exterior doors some windows and interior updates. But It is definely a gamble. I do know you hear how they depreciate rapidly so I do not think I would buy a new one.

o
RE: New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

My sister & BIL bought a beautiful repo last fall. It had been well taken care of, it was maybe 5 years old, can't remember exactly. The bank accepted their offer, & the dealer set it up. There was no warranty but the dealer fixed everything they found wrong before they moved in. A reputable dealer should be willing to do the same. If I were looking again, I'd consider a repo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here