Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolbarrel_gw

New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

carolbarrel
12 years ago

There is a $15K difference at least between new mobile homes and used/reposessed homes, at least around here. I'm just wondering if the newer, more updated looking mobile home with a one yr manufacturer's warranty is worth the much greater cost. Is there a way to get a dealer of used and repo mobile homes to match a new home's warranty or at least get some of the same kinds of warranty provisions in writing? Or...are all used/repo/etc mobile homes "as is" and thus a crapshoot? I'm a mobile home newbie and not particularly handy...but I also have always owned used cars so gently worn merchandise doesn't put me off. Is there any way to "kick the tires" when it comes to a used mobile home? TIA for any musings on this subject!

Comments (2)

• brnincalif
    12 years ago

I bought a foreclosure and I think it is the best decision I ever made but I am sure each circumstance will be different. I live in northern Indiana and found one on Yahoo real estate. A 1991 DW 3/2 with a full basement,3 city lots and a two car garage for less than $20,000. So far have only done new exterior doors some windows and interior updates. But It is definely a gamble. I do know you hear how they depreciate rapidly so I do not think I would buy a new one.

• abbisgram
    12 years ago

My sister & BIL bought a beautiful repo last fall. It had been well taken care of, it was maybe 5 years old, can't remember exactly. The bank accepted their offer, & the dealer set it up. There was no warranty but the dealer fixed everything they found wrong before they moved in. A reputable dealer should be willing to do the same. If I were looking again, I'd consider a repo.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH