Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieshome

modular homes in texas?

lizzieshome
16 years ago

Can someone help with modular home companies in Texas? hubby and I had planned on building a stick built home on land we own but would like to also check into modulars. I have seen the ads for palm harbor, oak creek, patriot...I know these also make manufactured homes. are their modulars just glorified manufactured homes(I am not putting down manufactured homes...we lived in one for almost 15 years) or are they true modulars. any companies to stay away from? thanks for any help.

Comments (12)

• joewhite
    16 years ago

Maybe you can find some useful infomation on this website
    http://findprefab.com/.
    Hope it helps.

• alviec
    16 years ago

My suggestion is to look at a jim walters home kit or something that is more efficient than a mobile or modular home. At least you have some recourse if it falls apart. The laws and the people who regulate them care less if you have a complaint after you've bought one of these defective homes. And... STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING CAVCO INDUSTRIES BUILDS.
    You've been warned.

• Rob2727
    11 years ago

We spent a few months looking at every manufactured home and modular home builder in Texas i think. We found some homes that I wouldnt expect to last a few years.

However, we were very impressed with Solitaire and Oak Creek Homes. We ended up buying with Oak Creek Homes in Sanger. Mainly because of the 7 year warranty. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: modular homes in Texas

• christopherh
    11 years ago

Just be sure you do the homework necessary to know there is a difference between "modular" and "manufactured" housing.

Modular is the exact same thing as a site built home, and manufactured is the modern mobile home. I'm not putting down manufactured housing as you can get some really nice homes. If you put it on your property and have a foundation you can get a regular mortgage. But many lending institutions won't give equity loans on manufactured housing for some reason.

I live in Vermont so I can't help you with a builder, but I live in a modular home since the construction season is so short. Nobody can tell if my home was a site built or one built in a factory. I have all the normal stuff. 2x10 floor joists, 2x6 walls 16" on center, Anderson windows, etc.

There are minimum specifications that each type of home must adhere to. Manufactured housing must meet HUD standards, while modulars must meet FHA standards.

Education is your best way around the mfg/modular issue.

• cathyyg
    11 years ago

Christopherh, I am getting tired of you implying that manufactured homes are inferior to modular homes. Yes, manufactured homes meet HUD federal standards, but modular homes need only meet the state and local building codes, and those vary a lot. The FHA and VA standards only come into play if your purchase is being financed by those agencies. And since I have purchased a home using those agencies before I can assure you that their inspections and requirements are laughably inadequate.

My manufactured home has 2x6 walls on 16 inch centers, 2x8 joists, gas-filled double glazed windows, drywall ceilings and walls, and standard house size cabinetry and bathroom fixtures. Well, except my bathtub, which is a standard 5' length but much wider than tubs in most houses. A manufactured home is a modular home set on a steel chassis. The minor differences in code standards matter only in the inspection and permitting processes. If I put my home on a permanent foundation and do the proper paperwork it loses the title of a manufactured home and becomes real property and appreciates in value, just like your modular home.

• christopherh
    11 years ago

At no point am I trying to say one is inferior to the other. All I am saying is they are originally built to different standards.

Yes, you can indeed have a manufactured home built to your specifications, including everything you mentioned. As a matter of fact one dealer near us has two models. One is a full cape style complete with two upstairs bedrooms. Another is a log sided cape style. complete with an aftermarket full length front porch. Once they're set on a foundation, they will increase in value just like a 'normal' house. Just a few years ago a double wide nearby sold for over $200,000.

But some facts are facts. Many, but not all, banks will not give equity loans on manufactured homes.

Manufactured housing is an integral part of American housing, and nothing can change that.

• lg3123
    11 years ago

Architect will take off burden from your shoulders and let you in relief state. This enables you to stay stress free to a great extent as your interior/exterior designer will co-ordinate with all the necessary people including the quantity engineers, builders, surveyors, sub contractors and interior designers. So, you need not worry about all these things. Architects will manage these by their own. so I recommend you to take suggestions from a well skilled architect.

• lg3123
    11 years ago

Renovation means to reinstate to good condition. Home renovation is very popular these days. Every one wishes that his or home look nice and stylish. There are many ways to renovate your home it may include improvement in air conditioning system, improvement in heating and ventilation, changing the electrical material. Make bed rooms, bathrooms and rooms water proofing

• Imelda Amy Interino
    7 years ago

You are perfectly right Kathy and I am ready to bring up a complaint how one sales person treated me like I'm a 2nd class citizen, came to their office dressed up like a poor hispanic woman, lol! The guy didn't even smiled at me, threw all kinds of numbers and refused to show me any model homes because I couldn't afford to buy according to him based on the numbers I gave him. Not knowing that I'm a military vet (already pre-qualified just shopping around) and a licensed RE agent, lol! I'm gonna have a good laugh on this one when I report his behind to Inspector Gen.

• Kathy Morgan
    7 years ago

Good luck Imelda! Sure hope you get better results/help than I. In the meantime, I will continue to try to inform people BEFORE they sign that line!!!

• Imelda Amy Interino
    7 years ago

I found them on Facebook, no complaints on her but i was appointed to see this man on Saturday, who wasted my time yesterday, geez!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio