Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?

poaky1
9 years ago

I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single wide Man. home. I am in Pa, they are made in Pa. A model between 800 ish sq ft, to as low as 600 ish sq ft is what I want. The deciding factor of course is price. I wondered does anyone know if the price per sq ft is more for the small units? IN OTHER WORDS, are you better off getting the 800-900 sq ft models as far as cost per sq ft, or if you get a 600-700 sq ft model, it will be a lot cheaper? I have already emailed a retailer. I should put it a different way maybe. Okay, lets say you wanted to get a single wide 900ish sq ft. Did the retailer show you a 1,000+ sq ft model that was cheaper? I DO REALIZE most peeps on here would likely NOT WANT a 500ish to 700ish sq ft Mobile home. But, I can't help but think that maybe they have some of them marked down, that nobody wants? I guess they only make them when someone orders them? :- ( Just askin.

Comments (8)

• christopherh
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know about the other "peeps" here but there are variables.
    You can look at a 600 ft home that has options that cost X dollars, and then look at a 1000 ft home with no options that costs less.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I would imagine that, but, in general, the same materials, but, are you going to get that home that is 1/3 smaller for much less? If you compare a 1,000 ish (1,039 sq ft as an example) to a 600-700 ish sq ft home will you pay about 45% even 30% less money for it? If nobody knows fine, but, if someone says they paid alot for a tiny trailer/Mh single wide, with no special things added, and could've bought a 900 sq ft similar materials for the same price, that's what I wanna know. In the past I purchased a double wide because the single wide I liked was about the same price, both were nice, the single did have an extra large above sink window, but hardly enough to be worth a double wide in price. Both had real solid oak cabinets, fancy tub in master bath etc. So if I buy a small MH, would expect there should be smaller price also, I just am curious if that is not likely.

• christopherh
    9 years ago

Let's look at the economics of building them. For a 600 sq ft unit, the manufacturer has set costs. Let's just say for argument's sake it's $65 per sq ft. He has all the fixtures, etc in place. When someone wants an 800 sq ft home all he has to do is add length to those already set fixtures. So with my manufacturing background to me it should cost maybe $58 to $60 per sq ft with everything being equal as far as options, etc.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So $45,000 for a 600 sq ft unit. That is JUST the home with no land. I am not happy with that price. I JUST MAY BE better off on a GENTLY USED single section mobile home. I like the smaller single sections because of the smaller area to heat, and I will be by myself, or maybe I'll have a man in my life in the future, but a smaller home will be best, BUT, if I can get a slightly larger home CHEAPER, I will go that route. I MAY have mentioned owning a DW Dutch housing MH years ago. My Hubby and I at the time got the DW because it was so close in price to the SW homes they had. I really would not buy a single wide for the asking price new now. I would throw out there my first choice of a NEW small single wide, but, I should just ask for a NEWISH used single wide that is smallish for those cheaper heating bills. I would imagine that these dealers selling new single models don't EVER sell the small single units if they expect to get the same price for them as the larger models. I emailed the retailer/dealer where I and my first hubby got our double wide from, inquiring about the small single wides. Of COURSE they need me to come in person and speak to the "right person", because the person who replied to my email wasn't the "right person", so I am supposed to go in person, just to talk to this, high pressure nosy selling agent,........ I mean salesguy, they have. My area, and the piece of land I plan on putting the single wide on is rural and beautiful, but my parents home, with the land the trailer will eventually be on, and their land where their BRICK home is on is ALL TOGETHER listed as $75,000 in value. This is a brick home of about (rounded off) about $1,000 sq ft (just under) and the 3 acres (rounded off) that it has been on for years, being $75,000 on the tax website. I am in a dinky town in SW Pa, just 40ish miles from Pittsburgh. So You can SURELY understand that a TINY 600-700 sq ft single wide home at around $45,000 on an acre or 2 of this land in my boring area, the land is SURELY WORTH AT LEAST $15,000. So $60,000 for a PUNY SINGLE WIDE in my very poor area. I would be paying taxes on a single wide on 1.5 acres or 2.0 acres, that is definitely TOO MUCH, if I have an acre or 2, and a small single wide MH. I would NEVER pay MORE than $15,000 on a 14X65 or for lack of the right demensions, a 600-750 sq ft single wide home, BRAND NEW. To be honest, I HOPE TO FIND a Windsor single wide 80's model with NEW WIRING, which I can move to my property here. However, I NEED the utilities put in and a concrete pad. But, too be clear to anyone reading this, if I am gonna buy a used MH, I will be looking for a Windsor, or another well built used MH single wide, maybe Pine Grove or Dutch, with the price lower than $15,000 if it isn't TOO OLD, if it is an 1980's model Windsor, I will pay according to age, and condition of the home. I REALLY FEEL that i will not be getting many replies that fit my standards, though. I am not in any hurry, I need to pay off some debts before I can put a down payment on a new home anyway. I owe about, $2,000 bucks. I will need about a year to pay it all off, THEN I CAN save enough to put a down payment on a MH. However, I am thinking that my area is TOO Hillbilly to be equal to the "General locations" when figuring "Property values" and the correct selling price for the average manufactured single wide home.

• cathyyg
    9 years ago

Poaky, did you get that $75,000 from the tax assessment? Because taxes are usually not on the full value of the house. I am guessing your parents' home and land would sell for about twice that, if the taxes are like they are in Michigan, on half the assessed value. And that number sounds realistic to me for a house on 3 rural acres that is well-maintained and about that size; 1000 square feet is small by today's standards.

Yes, manufactured home prices are higher than they were a few decades ago. They are typically constructed better than before, too. It sounds to me like your desired price range is where you will find a single wide about 10 years old. Go to the MH Village website and check on the prices of used manufactured homes in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: MH Village

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay I will search the site, thanks Cathy, sorry so long winded, BTW, my new Dutch that was about the same as the single wide was a 1996 DW, the single wide was about the same age. IOW, The new single MH have been pricey for a good while.

• PRO
    Dan Freeman
    9 years ago

The best value today in manufactured housing is in pre-owned bank foreclosed homes in all types of settings. You can find home only sales... where you have to move and install the housing unit. There are homes installed on land of all types, ranging from 55+ land lease retirement resorts to family oriented subdivisions where the home owners also own the land. The bankers that are still holding a huge number of these mobile home repos don't like having them on the books. These homes are a cruel reminder of the recent recession and the mistakes lenders made that almost crushed our country and left the finance industry in shambles. In many cases the bankers are offering big discounts over market price and very attractive finance terms to move these units out of their inventory reports. There are several places on line where you can find mobile home repos. The most comprehensive site is - www.mobilehomerepoman.com - This is one of the few sites that charges NO FEE to view possible homes to purchase.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Thanks Dan.,