Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Wood Panel Walls

Posted by angelnurse5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 1:05

Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1979 Lancer and it has wood paneled walls throughout the home. I would like to paint the walls in the bedrooms, but don't really know how to make it look nice since there are grooves present. Anyone with experience painting wood paneling in older manufactured homes? Also, if you have pictures I would love to see them for ideas.

Thank you :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Wood Panel Walls

Hello! Not sure if I am replying too late, but I just recently went through this in my "new" rental home that had a wood paneled room.

Since we plan to eventually gut the room if we decide to buy the house, I took a short cut. First, I gave the walls a good scrubbing. Then, I sanded (150 grit) all of the paneling and wiped all excess dust away with a damp cloth. Now, this is the part that I skipped: if you plan on keeping the paneling up, you'll probably want to fill the grooves in with some joint compound, using a putty knife. Let it dry and sand out any bumpy spots or ridges. Then you'll be ready to prime and paint. I used BINZ primer on my walls. 2 coats because of the darkness. Let it dry, of course, and then paint on!
I didn't have any problems, and it looks a lot better!

o

Thank you very much BGlad for responding to my post. No, you did not answer too late. We are planning on closing on the house in the beginning of March. I wanted to have some of the rooms, primarily the bedrooms, painted before we moved in. Thank you again for the information, and I'll let you know how it turned out :-)

o

HI, We recently purchased a 1978 model with horrible brown paneling. I successfully painted most of it with Behr paint. I picked a lovely shade of green called Home Song, and Jasmine white on the ceilings. I did use the Behr paint with primer in it. It looks great. I didn't do anything with the grooves, just painted them. I will see if I have a photo..

o

Ok here's a photo..
I hope.
other side

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Manufactured Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here