Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transformer for outdoor lighting

Posted by cxjr25 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 22:26

Would anyone know where I can buy a replacement for this transformer that gave out after only a few months of use? I can't find anything online. This connects to an outdoor lighting set. Thanks!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tpHg6DNSYbw/Tt2KBTr7PhI/AAAAAAAAB6w/kPFiKDoYNyU/s512/photo%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jcG8ZleGywg/Tt2K_ydlAaI/AAAAAAAAB64/H2dpPdLpLfs/s512/photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transformer for outdoor lighting

The transformer to look for should have a 12V DC with the ability to support 10W power consumption.

o

"The transformer to look for should have a 12V DC with the ability to support 10W power consumption."

It is more than just a transformer if the output is DC.

o

You're correct. It really is a power supply.

o

"You're correct. It really is a power supply."

It could be as simple as a tronsformer with a rectifier bridge on the output.

In many cases the OEM parts are painfully expensive, so it can be a lot cheaper to hit digikey or an electronic supplier for an actual transformer and a couple diodes.

o

Before you swap out the power supply do you know what killed the first one so quickly? Did it die because it was overloaded or water leaked in?

o

thanks for all the feedback. My only guess is water. I am in south florida so it rains a great deal. Because of the length of the cords provided in the lighting system, this was on the ground rather than screwed into the wall.

do you guys know what the name of the connection is? The lighting system is connected by these unique inputs i havent seen before.

o

"Proprietary' springs to mind.

I would not think twice about cutting of the light and supply connectors and making a splice.

If the wires are stranded a crimp splice would be easy, quick, and if done correctly survive the weather.

Who installs outdoor lights and plans on removing them

The connector is a manufacturing convenience, nothing else

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here