Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluorescent vs Recessed LED - Is my math wrong?

Posted by trouper (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 22:24

Like a lot of people I have a fluorescent fixture as the main source of light in my kitchen. It consists of 4 (T-8?) 48 inch linear tubes in the center of the room. Was considering modernizing somewhat to recessed LED cans, and actually hoping to get more light output out of it.

room = essentially 10 x 13 feet so it's not that big, and with upper cabinets, the available surface area is even smaller.

Calculating what I currently have:

4 x ~2700 lumens = ~11k lumens

I've read 35 lumens/ft2 is ideal for kitchens
this equates to 10 * 13 * 35 = 4550 lumens

This is half of what I currently have.

Using HD/Cree (575 lumens) would be 8 light to get half of what I have. Would be alot of light.

To equal what I have would take 19/20 LEDS.

Is something wrong with my math? Have I forgotten something? Or is the ugly fluorescent the best light I'm going to get?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fluorescent vs Recessed LED - Is my math wrong?

One thing to consider is that a lot of light from those fluorescent tubes never goes downward, so is wasted. Depending on the fixture, it is plausible that half or more of the light is lost. With LED downlights, all the light is emitted downwards with little waste.

o

Fluorescents are currently the king of the lowest initial cost, high output, long running time category.

Like wws944 said, the typical fixture/ enclosure used could dramatically cut the actual usable output.

I was initially loath to give up my recessed fluorescent light box, but the benefits of having a higher ceiling forced the decision. In the end, the Lr6 downlights worked out far better than the original.

o

"I've read 35 lumens/ft2 is ideal for kitchens "

That is a general lighting number, not a task lighting number.

Task lighting is in addition to general lighting.

Cans tend to be more directional.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 15:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here