Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Would someone like to suggest an LED bulb for my can lights?

msl511
10 years ago

We're doing a gut renovation for the kitchen. The electrician put in 5" cans. I want to put in LED bulbs.

Here's what I've figured out so far:

I want 3000K. Even that runs a little warm for our taste, but the natural maple cabs look better under that than under the 4100K bulb we tried.

If I'm understanding correctly the use of the terms par, br and r when describing the type of bulbs, we hate the fins on the par and r bulbs and like the smooth surface of the br.

The trim isn't in yet, so maybe this will change what we think, but we prefer a short necked bulb so it's not so prominent.

I'd really like a good CRI. Can I get at least 90, given the other things I want? Basically, I picked out my backsplash and window fabric using primarily natural light and that's how those things look good. We like daylight. I'd go for a higher K temp, but it doesn't do good things for the cabs. I'm hoping a high CRI will just improve how everything looks.

(Yes, in retrospect, I should have immersed myself in this thread and really gotten a better grasp of all the LED complexities, tried a whole bunch of bulbs. picked the quality of light I liked and then picked things that looked good under it, but it's just not the way things worked and I have decision fatigue on this project. Live and learn.)

So, would someone be kind enough to take pity on me and tell me, very specifically, what I want, assuming I supplied enough info? Bonus patience and sainthood points for telling me where to get it for a good price.

Thank you thank you thank you.