Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sloped ceiling recessed lighting

Posted by salmon_slayer (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 22:08

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and plan on replacing a few 6" recessed can lights and adding some. We have redwood ceilings and want either a copper/bronze trim ring or black. The ceiling is sloped (4/12) so that is really limiting our options. Any recommendations?? Also, we have found the halogen lights pretty hot standing under them. LED seems to be not quite there. Please provde your recommendations. I do want a warm light. The pictures below show what we are working with.

Steve

From 30 Nov

From 30 Nov

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sloped ceiling recessed lighting

If you have 2x10 or deeper joists this will work nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris

o

thank you. I went to HD and Lowes and couldn't find them or any sloped cans. Looks like I need to order them from the internet. I was really hoping to see the trim rings before ordering them but...

Steve

o

Our ceilings are sloped as well. Our electricion used Juno cans. :)

o

Stay away from Home depot, Lowes and the internet. Go to a reputable electrical/lighting supply house to look at the fixtures and get some free advice.

Do you intend to remove the redwood to install new housings? If not, what is the fixture brand and model number of what is there now?

In 40 years I have never seen a recessed sloped ceiling light that I liked. The openings are too large and/or in a kitchen they inevitably put light on your head instead of on walls or counters where it belongs.

I would build a redwood soffit at the top of the cabinets and install 3 3/4 inch low voltage recessed lights in the horizontal surface. That would get rid of the odd gap up there and put some light where you need it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here