Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chandelier lumens?

Posted by onmiown3 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 21:10

Hi all,

We are looking to replace a chandelier in the house we just bought that has 6 40w chandelier bulbs and one PAR bulb (broken in fixture, uncertain of watts).

I have been looking at fixtures with 5 100w A bulbs or 4 13w Fluorescent bulbs. Which would provide equivalent light, if any? FYI, the wall switch is a dimmer switch.

Thanks,
KC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chandelier lumens?

Although lumens is different than wattage you can get a pretty good ballpark comparing same technologies (i.e your old chandelier had 240 watts, new one is 500 watts (twice as bright).

In comparing the 2 new chandeliers (the 500 watt vs 52 watt fluorescent), the 500 watt will have more lumens as well. But I would be more concerned with the color rating when comparing the incand (500 W) fixture with the Fluor fixture. Obviously the fluor will be energy efficient but I'm not sure you'll like the quality of the light for a chandelier (too blue/cold). They do make lower temp fluro's (i.e. warmer color), but I don't think a foyer chandelier (or any chandelier) is the best application for fluorescent. Note; Also is cannot be used on a dimmer switch.

LED's have a similar prob with blue color temp. With a chandelier, i rtecommend sticking with incand.

Here is a link that might be useful: info about LED's not really ready for higher power applications

o
RE: Chandelier lumens?

Thank you so much!

You also addressed my unspoken concern about fluro being a good application for this type of lighting.

I've never been a big fan of fluorescent lighting and most of the time when I try to swap out for the energy efficiency, I end up switching back to warm decorator bulbs or GE Reveal bulbs. My friends and family think I'm nuts, because they say they see no difference between fluoro lighting and other types of household lighting.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here