Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Number of pendant light(s) over kitchen sink help

Posted by nschutt (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 20:56

I have a question about the number of pendant lights over a kitchen sink. We're in the midst of redoing our kitchen. We are going with a 30" single bowl sink. Behind the sink is a tall 33" wide single window with an arched top in a bumpout that extends the soon-to-be-installed granite countertop depth 20" behind the sink to the window. We are going to replace the old faucet with one of those tall pre-rinse spring jobs when the new countertops go in.

Currently I have only recessed can lighting in the kitchen including two cans over the sink. We were thinking of replacing the two oversink cans with a mini pendant (or two). Would it look OK to do two pendants or should I patch the two holes and do one pendant? We are also planning to add three pendants over a section of countertop that wraps around and separates the kitchen from the breakfast area as well as living area. All the pendants will be seen at the same time.

One or two over the sink (three and one or three and two)? Anyone out there with pics of a single kitchen window over the sink with two pendants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Number of pendant light(s) over kitchen sink help

Two lights avoids sharp shadows.

o
RE: Number of pendant light(s) over kitchen sink help

If you have screw in recessed can fixtures and want to visualize the mini pendants without doing the can tearout first--you can pick up a couple of recessed can/mini pendant light conversion kits--Lowes carries a couple (nickel Model #: MPA-1PNK or antique bronze [Model #: MPA-1JBZ]) with no bulb or shade that screws into the existing edison socket, has a decorative base that covers the recessed can. You can play with different light shades as well. We did this for our remodel, and never bothered to do the formal can tearout. I think there may be other conversion kits at Lowes, but the cover and the shade did not match our kitchen.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here