Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodiefrog

Retrofit options for kitchen recessed cans

foodiefrog
9 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and want to hopefully improve the lighting by:

1) replacing incandescent bulbs in two 6" recessed cans over a ~40" x 80" peninsula with Cree CR6 Edison base retrofit kits. I don't have my notes with me but I think the ceiling is at 7ft over the peninsula (on a standard height base cabinet). Pretty sure we're going with 3500k, but not sure if the 625 lumen option will be bright enough or if we should bump up to the 800 lumen option.

2) replacing 65w incandescent floods (~5") in four eyeballs over open area in middle of kitchen b/w range and sink and adjacent to peninsula. The eyeballs are in a recessed rectangle (that used to hold fluorescent tubes) at I think the ceiling is 8 ft above the floor. Thinking of going with Cree LE6C retrofits - 3500k, and only lumen option is 500. Concerned they may end up being less bright than the 65w floods, which would not be good as our kitchen only has one window and thus is kind of dark. If the retrofits will be less bright, then would it be better to just replace the floods with Cree LED bulbs? But I think the bulbs only come in 2700k (too yellow for us) or 5000k (too blue for us). Hopefully the LE6C will be ok given the other lights in the room.

3) adding under cabinet LED strip fixtures (as there are currently no undercab lights). Leaning toward Juno Pro LED in 3000k to roughly match the can lights, and in white color to match the white paint. The lip on the cabinet bases is ~9/16". The light is 1" high. Will it be ok that the lights will jut down a bit past the lip? Hoping the white on white will make it ok. Have 3 locations for install including left and right of range (also has hood with 2 LED lights) on one end of kitchen; and left of sink on opposite end of kitchen. Left of stove can fit 30" light (600 lumens) but think 22" light will be fine (450 lumens). Right of stove can fit 22" but think 14" (300 lumens) will be fine. Left of sink can fit 30" but again think 22" will be fine. The lights will not have dimmers, so we don't want to go too bright and have no way to reduce the brightness other than turning them off.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (4)