Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY low-voltage 'candle' for Moroccan lantern

Posted by pbridge1300 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 19:29

I'd like to light some Moroccan lanterns with some very low-wattage bulbs. I tried a 4w which I scavenged out of a cheap Malibu flood fixture, but 4w is too bright.

Maybe tiny white Christmas lights? Cut up a string of Christmas lights, and use those sockets and bulbs? Will 12v fire them up? Other ideas?

Thanks very much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY low-voltage 'candle' for Moroccan lantern

Use a dimmer.

You could also try LEDs but may need more than a single color to get the look you want.
Red and green can be used to make shades of orange and yellow (and if you want to get fancy make them 'flicker.'.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Dimmer won't work -- there are other lights on the same circuit which I do not wish to dim. LED's -- well, ok, I guess I can research them. Do you have direct experience with your suggestion?

o

"there are other lights on the same circuit which I do not wish to dim."

Get a plug in dimmer, or one you can mount in the cord.

"LED's -- well, ok, I guess I can research them. Do you have direct experience with your suggestion?"

Yep.

But you need to know how to design the circuits required.
This is one place that 555 timers are your fiend.

o
reRE: DIY low-voltage 'candle' for Moroccan lantern

You might be able to use (or modify) a battery powered 'window candle' used for Christmas decorating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here