Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themomiam

Kitchen lighting for 8 foot ceiling

Laura Ready
9 years ago

I am remodeling a kitchen in a mountain chalet that has an 8 foot ceiling. The kitchen area is 14 feet long and 11 feet wide (before cabinets). It opens to the large dining area that is western-facing with a wall of windows 20 feet high. At present, there was a circa 1988 4-foot fluorescent 4-bulb light and a fluorescent over the sink (northern facing window 50 inches wide). I have two wall mounts that are going over the sink that can take up to 100 watt bulbs, but I was planning to use 60 watts instead. I will have undercabinet lighting (5 sets - 2 sink side, 3 stove side), an OTR microwave that will have a light for the stove, and was hoping to place one or two flushmounts for the rest of my general lighting. Would two 3-bulb flushmounts be enough for the rest of the general lighting? I have one 3-foot section of lower base cabinets at one end of the kitchen that will not have uppers, and I was contemplating putting a recessed OR a pendant light there. I would like to stay away from recessed lighting (except for that one spot just mentioned) because of the cabin-type style of the home. Thank you for any input.

Comments (4)