Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferts_x_2

Bathroom Remodel-vanity lighting dilemna-narrow space for sconces

ferts_x_2
14 years ago

I've been lurking for months and now we're getting ready to demo 3 rooms for a small Master Bath/Powder Room/Master Bedroom remodel (in January, no less) and I'm really stuck on lighting over the vanity.

We've a space of 4'7" for the double lavs, with a panel of glass above a pony wall to the left (view into the wet room) and a full wall (to accommodate the pocket door to the powder room) to the right. I plan to install the NuTone Metro Deluxe medicine cabinets (15x35 recessed, frameless) over each of the lavs. This leaves me with 25".

I was really, really wanting to have dimmable sconces (3 total, one on the outside of each medicine cabinet and one between) at the vanity. The leftover 25", divided by 3 "spaces" gives me 8.33" for each sconce.

I really, really like the following sconce:

http://www.wallsconceuniverse.com/wall-sconces/access-lighting-50511-ch8cl-phoebe-wall-sconce-chrome_g328222.html

but I'm concerned about having too much wedged into too small of a space.

Even if I go with a choice that is less than 6.50" wide, I still have a concern about too much stuff in too small of a space.

Our current itty-bitty, teeny-tiny bathroom has a light bar above the vanity and I'm wanting to get away from that because right now I have to turn on the light behind me, above the tub, to get adequate lighting for make-up application.

The new bathroom layout will have the vanity area facing an east, interior wall. We will have 3-36" wide awning windows on the west, exterior wall (one of them located in the wet room) and have plans for can lights in the ceiling.

I'd love to read what ideas anyone would care to share with me regarding possible lighting options.

We're looking for a clean-lined contemporary feeling. We've got soapstone tile for the bulk of the floor (with underfloor radiant heat), soapstone tiled walls in the wet room, a poured concrete ofuro-type tub in the wet room, pebble tiles for the wet room floor and maple wall-hung cabinetry with, yes, a soapstone slab counter for the vanity. Polished chrome is the choice for faucets.

Let 'er rip folks and I sincerely thank you in advance!

Comments (3)