Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danpat2

Air tightening old (huge) recessed lights

danpat2
13 years ago

We've got 3 large eyeball recessed lights in our living room that are the primary source of a cold draft all through the winter. We're in Alberta, so when it hits -40 outside, it's really noticeable.

Does anyone know of any IC-rated housings that will fit a 10 inch drywall opening?

Yes, that's right, it's a 10" hole. The old fixtures are labelled "Halo H8", the closest I can find on the Halo lighting website is the "Halo H8T" (in their "commercial lighting" section) which matches the dimensions, but is not IC rated. The current lights have a drywall box built over the top of them to keep the insulation clear, but they're not air-tight. The lamps are 150W incandescents so they get hot and I suspect sealing up the attic boxes would lead to overheating. The current fixtures don't have a thermal cutout circuit.

I've found plenty of 6", a few 7" and even some 8" options, but nothing that'll come close to filling the 10" hole. The bit problem is that the ceiling is painted with a "popcorn" texture that contains asbestos, so we don't want to mess with it.

Anyone know of any 10" opening IC rated light boxes?