Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retrofitting recessed cans in a Family Room

Posted by trk65 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 16:38

Our family room is in need of additional lighting. I'd like to have 4 cans installed. Here are the problems as I see them-
The home is complete. There is no access to the ceiling from above-it's a first floor room.
The room has an 11 foot ceiling and heavy trim with coffers-
There is a double switch on a wall in the room which controls the gas logs and also has a switch for a future fireplace blower. We don't intend to ever install a blower, and I'd be willing to give up that switch to control the cans.
My main concern is how much of the ceiling and walls would need to get torn up to get the wiring run. I'd really rather not have to cut holes everywhere. We added cans to our old kitchen, but we used the wiring from the old flourescent rectangle fixture so there was already a source in that ceiling.
How hard is this job going to be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retrofitting recessed cans in a Family Room

This is one of the most difficult retrofits. The coffers require precise layout and you'll run into differences in where the ceiling joists are within that grid. The path of the cable between switch and blower may not be near where you need it. You need power to start the lighting circuit from somewhere. Lots of holes will be required to get wiring past the coffer without hurting it.

If you have carpeted rooms above don't rule out taking up the flooring for possible access and making use of a lighting control system with remote switch so that no direct wiring between the cans and the switch is required.

o

I,ve done more of these cans than I care to count. Basically, we locate two cans on each side of the room between rafters and cut out the holes and run romex between the holes on each side. We then use a very long flexible drill bit to drill through joists and fish romex to wire the four together. We then do the same thing to connect the wiring to a hot switch. As a general rule, we need to do very little cutting of dry wall.

o

I have the same exact question and situation as the OP. Would this project be any easier if the the lights installed were track lighting instead of recessed?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here