Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
econjon_gw

Kitchen lighting help

econjon
9 years ago

We are remodeling a kitchen and replacing rectangle florescent box light with recessed. I know that in general:

1. lights need to be 24-30" away from walls
2. lights should be 4-6' away from each other.

But our situation warrants seeking out a bit more knowledge. I am attaching a drawing of the proposed lighting. My questions are:

1. Should there be a can light in front of w/d?
2. Should I have a can light centered on the 2 pantry cupboards or just one on the fridge?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• David
    9 years ago

The fridge has its own lighting, so a can in front does not really matter.
    The cabinets could have built in lighting.

It would be better to have a regular pattern. The exact location of each can will depend on the location and direction of the ceiling joists as well as the clearance above the ceiling board.

The link below has more details

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed lighting guide

• econjon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. The rafters should allow for this. Does this look better to you? 5" or 6" for this space? I looked into that link you posted. I guess I am now convinced to use the CR6

• David
    9 years ago

Why is there a can in the center?

• szruns
    9 years ago

FWIW, my electrician convinced me to put the cans in regular patterns . . . Based on that, I'd move that oddball central can over between the other two along the peninsula. Just spread out the 6 cans in 2 even rows.

Is that a can over the peninsula or a pendant of some sort? I like the location, but if it is a can, maybe you will want to line it up with the other "middle of the row" cans. At least that is what my electrician would have done. He's all about lining things up, and, honestly, once they are in, they do look a lot nicer lined up, so I am glad he pushed me that way. The CR6 lights we are using spread out really well, so I am pretty sure I'd never have noticed a light being moved 6-12 inches one way or another.

I've read/heard that having two (smaller) lights over the sink helps prevent shadows, and the last thing you want is a dark dreary sink. I ended up going with two 4 inch cans over our large sink. Something to consider.

• econjon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Thank you for the suggestions. It is a pendant over the sink and we have canned the light over the island idea (puns ok here?) and will do two rows of three cans. See attached.

The center light is a fixture. Is that too much lighting? We will also have under cabinet lighting.

• econjon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Thank you for the suggestions. It is a pendant over the sink and we have canned the light over the island idea (puns ok here?) and will do two rows of three cans. See attached.

The center light is a fixture. Is that too much lighting? We will also have under cabinet lighting.

{{gwi:2135621}}