Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand Mfrs You Recommend for Recessed Lighting

Posted by mark_g (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 6, 09 at 15:09

It's been 14 years since my last major lighting project. In the world of better fixtures particularly in energy conservation, it seems there have been significant changes.

We used Capri on our last renovation--though not well known here, the lighting designer believed their diecast trim was superior to other makers. The fixtures have been excellent and stood the test of time.

I would appreciate if you would share what brand of lighting we should be looking at for our new construction. I understand the lamps (mostly), but am looking for recommendations for small aperture MR-11 and MR-16 as well as larger aperture for line voltage general illumination -- particularly: who makes the best airtight fixtures? Insulated fixtures? The best quality trim options?

Questions on lamps:
I have used compact (PL?) fluorescent in commercial settings--is anyone using them for high-end residential work in lieu of line voltage incandescent for general illumination? Or what is the standard today for general illumination--we used 100W A bulbs in Lightolier fixtures in the last project, and they, too, have performed well.

And has anyone used the line voltage MR-16s in lieu of low voltage?

Thanks in advance for any & all feedback! --Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand Mfrs You Recommend for Recessed Lighting

If you're looking for a "spec" grade product, I think Acculux by Juno , or Iris by Halo are the best lineup for the residential project..both have excellent flourescent products for general illumination.
For the next step down, Juno has made great strides in their product offering, specializing in the residential market

Run, not walk, away from any line voltage MR16(Gu10) ,Par16,or Par20 LAMP.
They are vastly inferior in all aspects, except for price, from a good quality MR16 -12v

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here