Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

Sloped Ceiling and Eyeball lighting - any options?

cookingrvc
13 years ago

We just finished adding built-ins to our new den (see pic below) and I am not happy with the lighting. We just added rope lighting to the top of the unit to add a glow to the shadowed space above the unit, however we still have, IMO, a need for more lighting to showcase the bookshelves.

We thought of replacing the left and right-most pot lights with eyeballs but after some experimentation it does not eliminate the shadows that are caused by the shelving.

After a little more experimentation with our electrician, we thought perhaps we could place some elbowed/angled lights up near the beam (so the wouldn't be obvious)that can shine toward the shelves at a better angle, but he didn't have everything he needed to complete the experiment.

My question is...aside from me changing to glass shelves (not my first choice)and having pucks installed, is there any lighting that can be installed in a sloped ceiling - against the beam (located directly above the fan) that can do what I want - eliminate the shadows and softly light the bookcases - at the correct angle? As I type I think glass is the answer...but just want to check.

Thank you,

Sue

Comments (5)

• bh401
    13 years ago

Not that i'm suggesting this, but would track lighting solve your problem? You could have the individual lights point where you would like. You can buy kits to convert can lights to take regular lights.(Did that in previous master remodel switched can over tub to chandelier) I am not sure how much clearance you have with your fan but they make a light with 3 individual lights that you adjust where they point.(Think I saw them on lightinguniverse.com)

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

I wish I had a suggestion on the lighting, but I think glass shelves would ruin the look of those built-ins. They're too pretty to mess with.

• cisco2000
    13 years ago

You might want to look a flexible LED strip lighting. I just installed some in a couple kitchen cabinets with glass doors and for over cabinet lighting with very good results. The LED's come in WW and NW, three different lumen levels and even an RGB version. I used WW, standard output. There is adhesive on one side of the strip so you just cut to length and stick to the cabinet face pointing towards the back. THe strips are 0.3' wide and only 0.1' thick and I had no problem with clearance between the front edge of the shelves and the tape stuck to the cabinet face. On the outer shelf units, you could run strips down both the wall-side face and the inner face. For your middle unit, you could only light from one side. The space over the TV, just a strip run along the top. And I'd light over top of the built in too...it really would look great. I would just lay the DC transformer on top of the built in as it appears you have a nice crown lip to conceal it.

A couple learnings for me. THe WW color temp is reported as 2700 K. I have to think that they have a very narrow spectrum as the light can appear quite yellow in certain situations. Also, the standard output strips in my cabs are actually too bright. I do have a dimmable transformer but have yet to install a dimmer. On a do over, I'd use the low output in my cabinets in conjunction with the standard output over the cabinets. I might also go with the NW, color temp of 5000 K.

All purchased from Elementalled.com.

If you can tell me how to do it, I'll post some pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elemental LED

• cisco2000
    13 years ago

Here are a few pics:

Disconnected two of the four strips inside cabinets:

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

bh401: I think the issue is the angle of the lighting and the affect it has when it hits the shelves. It creates shadows.

robj: I completely agree.

Joe: Thanks for the pictures. The rope lighting seems like the best solution however, we don't have verticle moldings to hide the lights behind. I am sure, however, we could have the guy who built them change it up so the shelves are cut to make them a smidge more shallow, and then install moldings to hide the lights.

We do have rope lights above the unit on a dimmer, and I think we'd do the same with any cabinet lighting. Seeing your pictures helps a good deal. thank you.

Sue