Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Query: how many people to change lightbulb

Posted by mjlb (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 18, 12 at 14:39

Answer: Definitely more than one!

I've had a high intensity desk lamp for a good 20 years, but this is the first time I've had to change the bulb -- a halogen 12V 20W JC G4 (two-prongs). I ordered replacement bulbs off the web, and have tried several, but the lamp still doesn't work. I'm wondering if it's the bulbs or the lamp (or even me). I do know to hold halogen bulb with paper, not fingers.

When I insert the lightbulb into what seems to be the only spot possible (and from where I removed the burned out bulb), it feels as though I am pushing the prongs into styrofoam. Is that the way it should be? Photo of insertion area is attached.

Thanks for any help to what sounds like a silly question -- even to me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Query: how many people to change lightbulb

When the lamp failed to work, you assumed that the "bulb" (which actually is a lamp) had failed. And you have assumed that the "new" "bulbs" are good. Without testing by a knowledgeable person, it is not possible to know exactly what has failed in your situation. I have no reason to believe that you are installing the lamp incorrectly.

o

Failed transformer.

o

I do know that lamp is the technical term for bulb, but since I'm a lay person, I persist in using the wrong term. I guess my main question is whether inserting that type of lamp normally feels as though one is sticking the points into Styrofoam. It's the only such fixture I have that uses that type of lamp, so I've no comparison.

Thanks.

o

I do know that lamp is the technical term for bulb, but since I'm a lay person, I persist in using the wrong term. I guess my main question is whether inserting that type of lamp normally feels as though one is sticking the points into Styrofoam. It's the only such fixture I have that uses that type of lamp, so I've no comparison.

Thanks.

o

Many bi-pins have little to no 'feel' as the pins insert, while some have a distinct 'grip' to the contacts.

If you have access to a volt meter, a pair of small wire stubs will allow you to quickly see if there is any voltage at the socket.

Be sure to check on both AC and DC scales.
It could be either.

o

Thanks, brickeyee. I don't have a volt meter, but we have a really nice old-fashioned hardware store in town -- maybe they will test it for me.

Have a nice holiday, everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here