Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendant lighting - distance from counter edge

Posted by pjhorst (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 14:07

Seems like most of the pendant location questions are height related. Any thoughts on distance from the edge of the counter? Or do you just center them in the space available?

For example, I have a 10' x 4', 1 level kitchen island looking out into our great room. 16" overhang for knees/legs on 1 side. It's 23" from that counter edge to faucet (sink is in island). So essentially a 10' x 2' eating/sitting/serving surface. The pendant electrical fixtures were roughed in prior to our finalizing our location and size of the island. The center of our pendants hang 6 inches in from the counter edge. From a distance it looks fine but feels a tad awkward if you are standing directly next to the counter as you get a face full of pendant. So for us, should have been centered at ~12" from edge?

Thanks for the advice/replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendant lighting - distance from counter edge

"The pendant electrical fixtures were roughed in prior to our finalizing our location and size of the island."

Better luck next time. I never use pendant lighting because someone always moves the island or makes it the wrong size. I also don't like lighting hanging in front of my face.

You could remove the offending pendants and install some remodel type recessed pin spots.

o

"You could remove the offending pendants and install some remodel type recessed pin spots."

That's actually a terrible idea. Do not install pinspots in your kitchen. Everyone will laugh at you.

Try halogen WFL MR16s instead.

o

swags?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here