Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
budget recessed lighting?

Posted by brickhouse (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 30, 09 at 13:11

My post form this AM was lost - here it goes again..

Adding recessed lights during our diy reno.

Looking for very basic lights. In our area, just having cans will be a huge plus. Not in CA.

Need IC, and likely air-tight.
8' ceilings, lights will be in an open dining room, kitchen, great room and hallway.
Likely selling w/in year and need to watch our reno expenses.
Any decent budget cans? My choices are HD, Lowes (an hour away) or online.
Just want some standard cans, I am guessing incandescent, any good choices? Are 6" standard?
I have read through many posts on the great upper end options out there, I am just looking for a decent basic choice. Also what price point should I be looking for?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: budget recessed lighting?

Will the ceilings will be replaced or if you will need remodel type housings?

The large lamps of 6" diam. line-voltage recessed fixtures are quite visible and produce a lot of unpleasant glare. I recommend the newer more popular 4" line-voltage fixtures with 50w. PAR 20 lamps (avoid R, BR and ER reflector lamps which hang lower in the fixture and are being phased out due to energy inefficiency.)

The problem with low priced IC and AirSeal fixtures (like Halo from Home Depot) is that many of the fixtures exceed their internal temperature limits unless a socket extender is used to lower the lamps. Unfortunately, this defeats the purpose of recessed lighting and looks terrible. If you don't use the extender, the fixture should turn off when it gets hot and turn back on when it cools. This information is not always available in stores so yu need to get the model number and google the specification sheet.

Alternatively, you could use a lower wattage lamp or use a larger diameter fixture.

The cheapest brand I have found that usually doesn't have this limitation is Lightolier. The 3 3/4" Step Baffle #2005 WH costs $43/$48/$54 depending on the housing, non-IC/IC/AIC, (contractor pricing or close to it).

o
RE: budget recessed lighting?

My dad is a handyman and we have good attic access, so we plan to use new construction type housings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here