Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mason Jar Pendants?

Posted by CurlyElle (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 12:54

Has anyone built/used mason jar pendants?

I really want to do this and I already bought a hanging light kit from Ikea (I know, I know) but my DH is concerned that it won't give enough light (I was going to do three of them in the kitchen in addition to a more traditional pendant light over the sink).

Has anyone made them? What's involved? How much light do they give off?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mason Jar Pendants?

I have seen them but not made them. I have the impression they are more decorative than useful for lighting, but how much light they give depends to a great extent on what kind of bulb you use. What kind is specified in your Ikea pendant? It will probably give a maximum wattage and the bulbs are usually clear globe or candelabra bulbs. I doubt the wattage is more than 60 and probably more like 40 watts (or the equivalent if LED). The light will be diffused rather than focused, and clear bulbs give the impression of less light output even though rated the same as white bulbs. The upshot is, in my opinion, you should make sure your other lighting provides enough illumination and consider these a pretty, decorative addition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here