Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lutron CFL dimmer---worth it?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 10 at 12:37

We bought Lutron Diva dimmers for our new kitchen, but would love to use CFLs instead of incandescents. I noticed at a store the other day that Lutron now makes a "CFL dimmer" that purports to be better for dimmable CFLs and LEDs. It's double the price of the dimmers we already have (not to mention that I suspect it's too late to return those!) Is this a gimmick, or have they actually modified something with the wiring that would allow us to use dimmable CFLs with this dimmer? (We have a house full of the traditional dimmers and have had pretty lousy success using the dimmable CFL bulbs in them, so I do know what's out there, but am not at all excited about it...) Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lutron CFL dimmer---worth it?

The Lutron dimmer is designed to sense the type of load. It also is adjustable for bottom end of range for the particular lamp it is used with. For best operation you must use the lamps it has been tested with.

Levition also has a dimmer that is similar but not quite as sophisitacated and also has a list of approved lamps it works with.

Scroll down to the bottom of the link to see the link for compatible lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron CLF & LED dimmer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here