Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom wall sconces -- up lighting or down lighting?

Posted by msbrandywinevalley (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:28

I'm shopping for wall sconces for over my master bathroom vanity. They'll be the primary lighting source in the room. I've seen several sconces I like, some of which direct the light up and others that direct it down. Which direction, if either, is preferable? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom wall sconces -- up lighting or down lighting?

Choose the sconce that best fits your taste/ style and lighting needs. The bulbs used will determine the level of illumination.

o
RE: Bathroom wall sconces -- up lighting or down lighting?

I bought a fixture for a remodel that is supposed to be installed down. We hated the way it put hard shadows on our faces in the mirror, so we turned it up and it bounces tons of ambient light all over the bathroom from a semi-gloss white painted ceiling. Looks way better and lights much better. The shades are frosted glass, which may help throw light around a bit more as well. I wouldn't try this with solid shades or cones, however, may not be enough lighting elsewhere in the bath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here