Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior Step Lighting Suggestions?

Posted by Ellen_2468 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 10:11

We need to make a choice about step lighting for interior stairs. One choice appears to be between LED and CFL (assuming we don't do incandescent). Another is between louvered lights and regular flat open lights. I would like to hear suggestions of what people find works best of these or any other options. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior Step Lighting Suggestions?

There are so many choices out there now - I used to like the simple rectangular framed glass ones placed on both side walls, every few stairs, but the small size of LEDs opens up new options like hiding a strip of LEDs in each step overhang, the light source hidden but lighting up all the stairs equally. Or you can hide LEDs in wall mouldings or railings, or conversely you can place them in open view if they look good. GIS "step lighting" for some ideas, like this would look good with white instead of blue LEDs.

o

Lee - interesting idea! We will look at that.

We are also now looking at having these lights have a motion sensor and wonder if anyone has experience with particular brands or models.

o

Hello

I use a special kid for stair lighting. I ordred one in Poland. At first I thought it was a bit risky but quickly got set. The effect can be seen in the film. Wooden stairs so I order the color strips - Warm White.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair lighting

o

Kim,

Those step lights are wonderful. I assume the LED strips are under the stair nosing making them inappropriate for use on stairs with carpeting? Is this assumption correct?

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here