Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_2468_gw

Bathroom Vanity Light over Wall Mounted Cabinet

Ellen_2468
12 years ago

I have been reading postings here on aspects of this issue, but I want to bring it up again to pull some pieces together and see if there are any new thoughts or experiences.

We are looking for lights that need to go over a wall mounted medicine cabinet in the bathroom which is over a 30" vanity. They can't go on the side. The issue, of course, is the light not being blocked by the cabinet and the fixture not blocking the cabinet doors from opening.

I have been reading some comments on having the light fixture face up. I would like to hear more about that as an option and if people are finding that can work.

Another option seems to be to build a box that goes above the cabinet and place the light fixture on the box. Has anyone had experience with that?

Another option seems to be to get some kind of extension for the light itself so it sticks out further.

Is there something I am missing? I would also love any links to pictures which show lights over the wall mounted cabinets, other than the round "Hollywood" lights.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• hilltop1155
    12 years ago

Is it possible to recess the medicine cabinet into the studwork? That would be preferable.

If not, here is a link to one way you could do it. This one is custom built with the lights as part of the design, but you might be able to do something similar, perhaps more in your style, with moulding and vanity lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet with integrated lighting

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

We are looking for lights that need to go over a wall mounted medicine cabinet in the bathroom which is over a 30" vanity.
    I'm assuming that you already have the cabinet, or else have it picked out, right?

snip

Another option seems to be to build a box that goes above the cabinet and place the light fixture on the box. Has anyone had experience with that?
    That is certainly an option, and one that I am sort of considering. The 'Broadway Lights' are actually on a strip on my existing med cabinet (that I really like), so I'm hoping/planning to do away with the Broadway Lights, and have a wood working friend do what is needed to make it so that I can mount some sort of different lighting on the cabinet itself.

snip

Another option seems to be to get some kind of extension for the light itself so it sticks out further.
    Have you started shopping for lighting yet? I'd suggest visiting several big box stores and seeing in person what might be available in lights that extend a way out from the wall. I don't recall seeing anything suitable for a wall mount light 'above' a wall mounted cabinet. Oh, had not thought of this, but maybe an actual lighting store would have lights suitable for your situation and mine.

Good luck! Enjoy your shopping.

Sue

• Ellen_2468
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hilltop - Thanks for the link. The picture is helpful. We can't recess the cabinet.

Sue - We don't have the cabinet, but know that it can't be recessed - there is already a water pipe behind where it will go. We may end up having our contractor build a box, but we will also look for lighting options. One option might be to have the lights point up.

• dibgar
    12 years ago

Have you considered long narrow pendants that could hang from the ceiling? This could give you more flattering light from the sides without actually being mounted on side walls.

This would not work if the whole face of the cabinet swings opens, but if there is a section of mirror and/or cabinet that is stationary, then the pendants could hang in front of those sections at whatever height works best for you.

I don't have pictures to share as we are still planning how to light our own vanity which has just 32 inches between two tall windows. Unless the mirror is very narrow we can't use sconces, so we are debating pendants to hang at the edges of the mirror vs an over-the-mirror fixture.

• mpdagostino
    6 years ago

I found something that works! I have a double vanity with two surface mounted medicine cabinets 24 inches wide with a 5 inch depth from the wall and for the life of me I couldn't find a suitable light to extend OVER and beyond the cabinet frame. I found a track light with three bulbs that I think will work but I can mount them on the wall above each cabinet rather than on the ceiling. I ordered on line from Lowe's: "3LT BRUSHED NICKEL
    FINISH FROSTED GLASS Item 20161 Model EC1431BN.

• bojana2012
    6 years ago

Did you wind up using the lowe's track lighting?

• mpdagostino
    6 years ago

Yes, and they work great!

• bojana2012
    6 years ago

I like it! Thanks for sharing!

• cee filippo
    5 years ago

just do a search for 'goose neck or swing arm' sconce...

• remodelsoon
    2 years ago

I know this thread is old at this point, but for anyone who is currently looking for an answer to this problem, we built a box for our light. Three 20x30 Kohler surface-mounted mirrored cabinets, just under 5" deep, and we are happy.

• remodelsoon
    2 years ago

• Meggie Kwait
    2 years ago

@remodelsoon-

I’m desperately trying to find a way to use the gorgeous light fixture I bought for above my surface-mounted medicine cabinet. When you say “built a box,” do you mean the black box the light stem is connected to is not part of the original light? What material is the box made of?

• jtammenga
    2 years ago

i have looked everywhere for a light to extend past a 5 inch medicine cabinet and not much out there. Can’t recess the cabinet. going to try Iyari 3 light on wayfair as it states depth is 7.75”