Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windowed cupola light?

Posted by mythreesonsnc (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 9:36

Hi All,

I usually hang around the building a home forum and kitchen forum, but when you need an expert lighting opinion, I think this is where I need to be!

We are building a house with a cupola on the top --- the cupola is 4 sided with fixed windows. It is not accessible from inside the house. I have always planned to have a light in the cupola for a nice nighttime glow, but now that it is up, it is proving tricky! It has been suggested that we hinge one of the windows in order to get up and change the bulb, but changing a bulb frequently is still not terribly appealing! It has been suggested to put in an LED light, to reduce the frequency of bulb changes. I wondered about getting a small solar contraption --- but am having a hard time finding anything resembling what is in my imagination (I have in mind a solar "panel" which could be hidden on the back side of the roof, and then a solar light). Do any of you experts have any ideas that I might just be completely missing?

Thanks very much.... here is a picture of what I am talking about....
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windowed cupola light?

Fiber optic is a good solution to light spaces that are difficult or impossible to access later. The light source can be elsewhere, within reasonable distance, in a more accessible spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of the better fiber companies.

o
RE: Windowed cupola light?

Thanks for the tip --- I will definitely spend some time checking this out in more detail!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here