Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boops2012

Pegasus LED unit compatable w/ halo can?

boops2012
11 years ago

I have read this forum and others till my eyes are crossed. And still cant quite grasp all the intricacies of recessed lighting. So I took a plunge and purchased Halo 47IC sloped cans.On sale at Lowes. Now to find LED modules to fit. Came across Pegasus ^ in. dimmable to 5%. 575 lumens- 9.5 watt. 2700K- 90CRI. Will this bulb be compatible with the Halo housing?Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    11 years ago

I'm right there with you, getting ready to install 20 recessed cans (in beams, not in ceilings) and want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff.

From what I've read and heard so far, retro-fit LEDs (PAR OR GU) are what you need to find for standard bulb fixtures. The GU fixtures can work too, but you have to find a retro-fit LED that has the two posts on the bottom of the bulb to fit into the GU fixture. These are relatively new and still getting the kinks worked out from what I can see from Amazon reviews. Rule of thumb: the cheaper the bulb, the more likely it is to be sub-par goods and not last nearly as long as the pricey ones. GU LED bulbs run the gamut from 9 dollars up to 60 and more.

Your housing has a note on Amazon: Note:Bulb shape and wattage varies according to the trim. The picture shows a standard screw-in bulb (PAR20) shape and says: uses 1 A, R, MR, or PAR lamp in a range of wattages.

From what I can find on the bulb

http://www.pegasuslighting.com/6inch-led-recessed-light-retrofit-module-10w-reflector-wet.html

it has a E26 medium screw base. To me, it doesn't look like your cans have that same receptacle.

You need to find bulbs with the E26 Medium Screw base

There is a lot of tech knowledge out there... can get confusing.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    11 years ago

CORRECTION:

I mean you need to find bulbs with the 1 A, R, MR, or PAR screw base. Sorry about that!

• boops2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cans are a incandesent housing. So the E26 Medium screw base is NOT a standard incandesent bulb? Trying to get the details right.Thanks keithdirt.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update - apparently standard household bulbs are E26 screwbase. I found one and tried it out in the housing- it fit. But the package said A19. That confused me. Turns out the A refers to a SHAPE of the envelope- the glass part of the bulb.Sweet! I have just saved $15 on ea. of my LED lights.

• wws944
    11 years ago

For 6" sloped ceiling cans, a BR40 style bulb is likely the right choice, considering both appearance and light distribution.

• lesliemorris85
    11 years ago

I think yes because Pegasus is one of the most versatile sources of light for both residential and commercial buildings, recessed fixtures, or can lighting, offers a layer of general lighting that seamlessly blends into any decor.

• boops2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got them up this past weekend. I am amazed at the amount of light they give off.But then, anything is better than the single ceiling mount that was there.
    The angle inside the cans don't allow the torsion springs to grab securely so I Googler and found a retrofit band.Will let you know how they work out.