Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wattage for kitchen recessed lighting

Posted by pearl2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 8:05

For the recessed lighting that's located over the countertops.....
I need to pick out the recessed light housings.... and the maximum wattage
has to do with what housings are chosen. I'm trying to figure what wattage will be best.

From your experience, would you think 50 watts per housing is adequate.... or would 75 watts be better. The housings are spaced about 40 inches apart. The room has 9 foot ceilings. The fixtures will be on dimmers.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wattage for kitchen recessed lighting

Have you considered using led lights simply because dichroic lamps like the ones youre thinking of get really hot and always burn out. If youre fitting from scratch you can retrofit or get entirely new pods. I use LED spot warm white in my kitchen and they are about 9watts each...the light spread is about right because I picked a wide angled beam.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED strip

o
RE: Wattage for kitchen recessed lighting

The answer to your questions depends on the dimaeter and type of fixture you are using? Is it low or line voltage? Will the ceiling be insulated?

Recessed lighting is usually spaced on a 16" module so 40" is odd since it would probably put a light on a joist or strapping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here