Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior LED bulbs for downlights

Posted by johnstaci (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 2:05

Have 8 exterior can lights in the soffit that shine down to accent the brick on our house. Looking to replace incandescent bulbs with LED lights. Lights are tied to a photocell and are on all night - they burn out after a few months and use a lot of energy. Tried CFL's but they are too white and don't look right - not soft yellow.

The can lights are mini-cans - bulbs approx 2.5" wide by 3.5" long.

Do they make these size LED bulbs that would work outside? Looked a some at Home Depot awhile back and think they all said for interior use only. Why is it they can't be used outside? If they are protected from rain (under the soffit), would you chance paying for them? If not, are there similar sized CFL's that look more like incandescents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior LED bulbs for downlights

No experience with LED's so I can't help you there. Exterior CFL floodlights are pretty common at the big box stores. Look for a color temperature of 2700k for a warm white, might be in fine print on the package or some code on the bulb (the number 27 somewhere beside the wattage). Actually these are a little yellow for my taste and I go with 3000k to 3500k. Pick up a couple to experiment with.

It's not uncommon to have photocells that will only work with incandescent bulbs. To test with CFL's remove all the incandescents and put in one CFL. If that works you're good to go. Probably the same test will work for LED's but that's just a guess.

o
RE: Exterior LED bulbs for downlights

Okay, yes I have experience. they do make LED spotlights. We just bought one from HUDNUT, Portland, OR. They are $150 for each bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here