Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Need help choosing recessing lighting bulbs and size

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

First sorry so long. I will cross post to the kitchen forum. I have an electrician coming by Friday morning and I have yet to get a quote back from another electrician on LED recessed lighting and the electrician that came today was pushing Incandescent recessed lighting).

The pretty lamp I chose to hang in my kitchen does not have enough room to take the three 100 CFL bulbs I bought and that would mean I would have to use lesser wattage bulbs or incandescent lighting.

I need a nice white light like my halogen lights under my Zephyr Breeze II hood that is bright, very white light that makes my new tiles look so beautiful with the ivory, beige, gray veins, reddish brown/beige in the tiles that is the reason I bought them. Regular incandescent bulbs make my tiles beige and gray and the other colors are not seen well and they are not that pretty.

I had to change my tube fluorescent lighting to a 6500K in my ceiling (I am trying to replace this ugly outdated looking light) to like the tiles (fell in love with them in a home that is almost identical to mine but had new cherry cabinets and new halogen lights on a track lighting system in the ceiling .... looked nice since the kitchen was so modern) but the daylight light color is not as bright, warm and very white as the hot halogen light due to the lower rendering color index of the Fluorescent light bulbs.

I wish I knew which white k color light spectrum this light was but I looked all over the Internet with no such luck but in a 2002 article it said that the LED MR16 light (My light bulbs are r16 halogen lights but the bulbs offered by the electrician will be MR16 halogen bulbs using an low voltage 4" recessed design) is a brighter 2800K to 3200K in the white spectrum (while incandescent is 2700K) and has a rendering color index of 92 to 100 which is very bright that I love and makes all colors so vivid and true.

The LED CREE light bulb I brought home from Home Depot to see what the 2700K white light would look like is much better than the incandescent bulb since the LED is so crisp and clear and not glaring and my tiles look nicer under the light than the incandescent light BUT the ivory in my tile and the reddish beige is not there anymore and the tiles are not as pretty with the LED light as the halogen light.

I really would like to go with an LED light that does not get hot but one electrician told me over the phone he feels I will be happiest with a low wattage (12 volts) MR16 50 watt halogen recessed bulb and does not feel they will get too hot but will give the bright white crisp warm light that I like that is not cold like the 6500K daylight bulbs.

Does anyone know what LED would give me a light close to the halogen light that I have fallen in love with? The Home Depot LED 2700K soft white is not a good light for the tiles I bought that I can't return.

Would getting halogen lights (low wattage) be not a good idea since LED is taking over and the LED lights are cooler?

Comments (3)