Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Recessed Lighting Help

Posted by trepex (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 20:53

Hey there,

I'm attaching a floorplan of my new kitchen, in the hopes that I can get some advice for placement of pot lights. The lights are 4" gimbals (can be aimed). One comes automatically over the sink. I need to figure out placement of the rest.

In addition, we're planning pendant lights over the island (likely 3 of them) so that needs to factor in.

In our current house the lights are over counter edge, and essentially spaced 3 to 4 feet apart. It seems to work pretty well. My biggest problem here is whether I should put pots over the working edge of the island as well (the inside) or just leave the pendants for there. What about in front of the wall oven cabinet and fridge cabinet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Recessed Lighting Help

Depending on the height and wattage, and how bright you like it, your pendants may be okay for your island. My island is almost exactly the size of yours. My island lighting isn't in yet, but will be six 800 lumen LEDs in a 9 foot ceiling (no pendants). Maybe a bit overkill, but they will be on a dimmer. My sink is also a 800 lumen, at at height of ~6.4'; the rest of the kitchen has 575 lumen LEDs at 8'.

Did you read the recessed lighting thread?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here