Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tacky old fixture

Posted by karinl (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 24, 11 at 20:51

We rewired and installed this old fixture today... I can't quite date it; it could be anywhere from 50s to 70s. Classic colonial maple, which I have a weakness for, and copper - I was able to find some copper chain locally, finally. Got it cheap, and needed to replace a buzzing fluorescent in the kitchen, so we thought we'd try it out. It actually has copper "hats" as well, but gives better light without them.

So I thought I'd issue a challenge for the tackiest light fixture :-)

Karin L

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tacky old fixture

Uh, I think anyone who likes that wallpaper will like the light too, and I'll just leave it at that....

o

If you think it is tacky and apparently dislike the look why in the world would you spend money and time rewiring and hanging it. To be honest your post comes across as flame bait from an internet troll.

o

My apologies. I'm simply laughing at ourselves, a bit. I thought there might be others here who enjoy the vagaries of lighting design and who might have examples of some of its wilder excesses and missteps, of which there certainly have been, and continue to be, many.

I love wood fixtures, and wood, period, so couldn't resist this fixture when it came by for a song. As I've mentioned on other threads, we have had industrial fluorescent fixtures in this room for nearly two decades, and it was time for a change. It is very hard to imagine what a new fixture will look like and how it will illuminate in a room you're so familiar with in its current format and where the status quo actually works well. We really had trouble imagining how a more decorative fixture would work - among other things, the ceilings being 10 feet, we wondered if it would look a bit lost in space, or fail to throw much light. Including the fixture, the total investment was about $60 and a few hours, and we regarded it as an experiment.

If we don't leave it here, where we are actually quite enjoying it, we'll use it elsewhere, so the wiring work is not wasted (it was just to put on a longer top wire). And I may just get new glass for it, since at least half the tackiness quotient comes from that, and there is a bit of a glare problem with the clear parts.

As for the wallpaper, yup, old fixture, old wallpaper, old house. It's kind of a package deal - modern just doesn't look very convincing in this setting.

Thanks for the responses!

Karin L

o

I actually like the look - it all fits together and if you have the furniture to match then enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here