Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of sconces above a fireplace mantel

Posted by bostonhome (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 19:27

My electrician needs to know how high I want to place my sconces on the wall above my fireplace. I haven't bought a mantel yet, so I'm not sure what the height of that will be. Is there a standard height for placement of sconces above a mantel? I have a two-family and need to decide for both units. The ceiling heights are 9.5 ft and 8.5 ft.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of sconces above a fireplace mantel

Location of sconces depends on many things. The mantel height, if combustible material, must meet the code for clearance to the firebox and this differs with how far out the mantel projects. You must know mantel height first. Next is figuring out what goes on and above the mantel. You need to leave room for wall hangings and objects sitting on the mantel. Everything needs to be in proper proportions.

You can stall till finding out more from your interior designer by asking the electrician to tack some boxes at a best guess location and leave the wires a few feet longer than they need to be so that you can adjust later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here