Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cree LR6 housings and foam insulation??

Posted by seattlepaul (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 22, 09 at 19:21

I'm looking closely at the Cree LR6 as a perfect solution for lighting in a basement wine cellar because of the low heat that it puts off. Because this is a cellar though, the ceiling (which is also the floor above) needs to be super-insulated, which means spray-in foam insulation.

I know you usually shouldn't spray foam around high wattage housings, even IC because many of them are designed to be slightly "lossy" and let heat escape out the back, but what about in this case? I know there's a heat sink in the module that takes heat away from the LED chips, so there must be some heat in there, but it sounds like it's only a couple watts.

Does anybody have experience using LR6s either in existing cans (who's?) or in Cree's can when they are closely covered in insulation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cree LR6 housings and foam insulation??

The LED bulbs do put off heat. Not the light emitting chip itself, but the driver. That is why the LED bulbs usually look like heatsinks. If the bulb gets to hot it burns out which is expensive with LED.
So in short. Yes they put off less heat. Yes it will work. You very likely will not get the expected bulb life from the LED bulb if the spray foam is applied directly to the can housing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here