Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen recessed light plan advice, please

Posted by j-yk (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 11 at 19:19

I am putting recessed lights in the kitchen and I need some advices. I have a current light plan but I am not sure how to embed it in my message...
The kitchen is sort of 15' x 15' but a bit less than that since a part of the kitchen goes in (less kitchen space) due to the wall encasing a stair case right adjacent to it (by about 3' x 7').

My electrician is planning to use some sort of 6" recess can (65watt capacity) and five of them. The current problem is that because the 6" is too big, I can't fit it in the soffit we are building (to hind exposed pipes at the top) and when I said that I would prefer something smaller that will fit in the soffit, I was told that that will end up cutting the brightness greatly since those smaller recessed lights are not "flood lights" and they are sort of accent lights.

It's hard to make sense of anything since I don't really know much about lighting... Any advices? Thank you so much in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: current light plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen recessed light plan advice, please

Assuming recessed cans for kitchen lighting
1. Plan on having ~ 35 lumens per sq ft for general lighting from the main light source(s).
2. The cans should be spaced between 3' to 4' apart in some relatively regular pattern.
3. The distance from the wall is typically between 26" to 32".
4. The final position and layout is influenced by the layout of obstructions in the ceiling such as joists, plumbing, wiring, insulation, ducting, vertical clearance...
5. If you live in California or a region with energy efficiency laws (title 24 for CA), the type of recessed can is strictly governed.
6. LED recessed can lamps (e.g. - Cree CR6, LR6, Sylvania RT6) work much better than the standard bulb in a can configuration as the latter traps a significant amount of light.
7. Under cabinet lighting is very useful.
8. The glimpse LED lights can be used as surface mounted lights and can be used in places where a standard can will not fit.

If you're building soffits, you could consider putting in cove lighting - either LED or T4/ T5 fluorescent. The cove lighting could be used to supplement or replace the recessed can lights.
Alternatively, you could use pendants.

o
RE: kitchen recessed light plan advice, please

THank you! Your comment is extremely helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here